Thursday 31 January 2008

Idiots in Time Part 2



The scene in Cracktown's apartment was the first scene we shot, and I was a little worried that the script was a bit too wordy and lacked any obvious visual gags, so I put the advert straps in to liven up what would otherwise have been a long (but important to the narrative) sequence with a few cheap gags.

This was also the only remaining trace of an idea I had (well, Quentin Tarantino had it first, but more people have seen Idiots in Time than Deathproof, so maybe in retrospect it was lucky I left it out...) to make the film look like it was made in the 80's and went straight to video (I was going to put VHS noise, fake trailers and a crappy company logo on it)

That idea went out of the window when a) I realised it was going to be way too much like hard work and b) once I put in the Top Cat scene, it seemed like there would be enough jokes after all.

I'm particularly proud of the first Santa scene - the Magic Bullet filters give it a nice sheen and the Nazi Robot fight is also a nice (if cheap) gag.

Also, the captions which appear at the start of every scene were thoroughly researched, so 341AD in Lyceia really was where and when the real Saint Nick lived - you lean something new every day huh?

[Thanks to the ever reliable Wikipeadia for that fact-nugget]

No comments: