Monday 18 February 2008

23 Part 1 [Kicking it Old Skool]



In honour of that new Jack Black movie [which Im hearing mixed reviews to, wich is a shame as Michel Gondry is a bit of a genius in my book], today we will be traveling back to the heady days of 1993, when Kurt Cobain still had a face and the internet was just a demented glint in some guy's eye, it was a time when VHS tapes ruled the planet and I spent a lot of time drinking cheap booze in student union bars. Plus, I still had a lot of hair back then, ah yes. my youth - where did you go?

Anyway, the point of that long and rather rambling sentence is to introduce us 23, a film I made as a student at the complete pile of shite known back then as The University of Humberside. So ashamed of it's past was this pale impression of a learning establishment that it changed it's name and slunk across a river to hide.

1993 was also the time when a young Quentin Tarantino held sway over the minds of young and impressionable media students, and naive as I was, I thought I could pull off some kind of homage to Resevoir Dogs, but the twist would be - it would have chicks in it. Yay me!!! No noe ever came up with that twist before. Pat on the head - go to the top of the class. So with a local heavy metal band cast as the bad guys [the Failed Lemmings, where are they now I wonder? Also, we mainly cast them 'cos they had a van], two local am-dram ladies on board as our principles and a dream in our hearts, we set out to make movie magic.

Oh how did it go wrong? We ended up falling out, nearly being arrested, equipment and brains malfunctioned, directors refused to direct and everyone else went and got very drunk. Everyday. For ever.

So that's the scene set - check out the first bit and tomorrow I'll tell you why its not a good idea to shoot blank firing guns in public just after one of the most horrific gun crimes committed on British soil

No comments: